If you’ve ever struggled with helping your kids cut healthy weight (and get their parents on board)
Or if you’ve ever had a kid rely more on sweats and starvation than proper nutrition…
Then today’s episode is a MUST listen to.
On Episode 24 of Attack Style Wrestling podcast, we address one of the toughest things to navigate as a coach of young people – weight classes. Gone are the days of sporting plastic trash bags everywhere. Now, we recognize that we should put the health of these young people first. Regardless, it doesn’t make it any easier of a conversation to have, no matter which side of the coin your athletes are on. By the end of this episode, you’ll understand some of the best practices to help kids move up and down weight classes, all while keeping them healthy and training hard.
Here’s what else you’ll learn from today’s episode:
- 3:00 – Timeless methods for managing weight (I’ve used them as both an athlete and a coach)
- 6:35 – Practice is for improvement, not weight loss. How to instill this mindset in your kids
- 7:15 – “The shorts and t-shirt rule”
- 9:22 – Conversations with the “back in my day” parent
- 12:40 – Strategies for the brand new wrestler – one of the most difficult things to manage as a high school coach
- 15:30 – Using weight lifting to actually cut weight, even if your kid thinks they’ll get “too big”
- 18:00 – Knowing your subject AND your subjects – addressing the kid that would rather starve than work hard